If you've got 5 seconds to spare...

My metro arrived at Deák ter. I got off and walked into the concourse beyond the platform, along with the majority of the morning commuters. Obviously, I was in a rush, as I tend to be in the mornings, and strode briskly towards the escalators that lead to Metro 3.
Now, it seems to me that ticket inspectors aren't employed for their tactical nouse. There were about eight of them, arranged in such a way that they could chat to each other at the base of the right-hand escalator, casually menacing passers-by. In principle, I agree with the idea of ticket inspectors but why are they so bloody ineffectual? If they're intending to stop people without tickets, they're standing in the wrong place! With two up escalators, one right, one left, what kind of fare-dodger would choose the one with the flock of inspectors?

Well, perhaps a gutsy, wily one! Possessing a ticket, as I did, I
headed for the emptier escalator on the right, and a stray inspector drifted towards me. I ignored her, but three metres from safety, she asked for my ticket. Irritated, I found that the best way to convey "Look, I obviously have a ticket because I've chosen this escalator!", was to ignore her again. This proved rather effective, as the inspector waited until I was halfway up the ecalator before she employed her next tactic: "Uram!" ("Sir!"), she cried out.

I'm sure there are some people who would find this call impossible to disregard. No doubt there are some who would turn around at the top of the escalator, take the first escalator back down, interrupt the inspector's subsequent conversation about why they never catch anyone without a ticket, and say:

"I'm terribly sorry, madam, did you want to see my ticket? Here it is. And, if I may, might I add: you haven't caught anyone because you're not even trying!"


And... while I'm on the subject: why are there never any inspectors at Kossuth tér? Do MPs and bank staff travel free?

Andy Sz.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    one word: kontroll
    (http://www.kontrollfilm.hu/ - easily one of Hungary's ten greatest contributions to film.)  

  2. hub events said...

    Erm...

    I'd be tempted to disagree about that 'greatest contributions' thing. I reviewed that about a month ago, for the culture section... and to be honest, I was more than a little underwhelmed.

    http://hubculture.blogspot.com/2008/08/kontroll.html

    Andy T.  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.